[Distutils] virtualenv and buildout integration ?

Gary Poster gary.poster at canonical.com
Thu Aug 27 03:22:58 CEST 2009

On Aug 26, 2009, at 8:38 PM, Yonsy Solis wrote:

> Hi o/

hi

> 3) exist any plan for buildout to obtain the same isolation level than
> virtualenv ? when ?

I have a branch of zc.buildout that provides a number of facilities
and approaches for working with a system Python, including this one, I
believe.  (ViewCVS http://svn.zope.org/zc.buildout/branches/gary-support-system-python-2/
   or anonymous checkout http://svn.zope.org/repos/main/zc.buildout/branches/gary-support-system-python-2/)
.  I submitted it to Jim Fulton for review a couple of weeks ago.

The branch has a lot of changes, and Jim's very busy and very
thorough, so I don't know when it will be merged, or what it will look
like when it is.

While it has the functionality that I believe you want (that is, you
can entirely exclude the normal Python site-packages), we're using it
successfully on Launchpad right now to do something similar to what
you describe, but different.  We allow site-packages through, so we
get system lxml and pyopenssl, for instance, but we explicitly get
distributions via buildout for the bits that are more closely tied to
the application, even if conflicting eggs are installed for the
system.  We've only had the changes in place for a couple of weeks,
but things seem to be *much* smoother with them now.

Gary