[Distutils] virtualenv and buildout integration ?

Yonsy Solis yonsy at aureal.com.pe
Sat Aug 29 05:15:33 CEST 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 08:36 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:

> > 3) exist any plan for buildout to obtain the same isolation level than
> > virtualenv ? when ?
>
> As Gary mentioned, yes. I hope this will be in 1.5, within a few weeks
> (maybe days :).

this is, that the buildout will ignore the system python path ? this is
the final purpose that i want to obtain right now.

> Sure. The simplest, IMO, is to use a clean Python built from source
> that you keep clean and share among your various projects.  We deploy
> to CentOS-based systems and deploy "cleanpython" RPMs (for both 2.4
> and 2.6) along side the Red Hat supplied installs.  We develop on Mac
> and Ubuntu and typically have clean Python builds that we share among
> our various projects.

we deploy in centos servers, with python 2.5 build from source
in /usr/local (and i am trying jython 2.5 for some apps) but we prefer
virtualenv for isolate apps.

> Of course, you can create a virtualenv and keep it clean and use it
> for multiple buildouts. This is the rough equivalent of of creating a
> clean Python. Buildout never installs into site-packages, so if you
> create a clean virtualenv, buildout won't dirty it.

well, i think that i am going to write the recipe for:

1) build a virtualenv in the same buildout directory (with several
options, python interpreter version, --no-site-packages, etc)
2) activate the virtualenv
3) restart the buildout running with the python interpreter from the
buildout

i think that can be a good exercise for understand how to write recipes
for buildout. i found docs for recipe but very few for extensions, can u
give me some indications where i can search for this ?

thx in advance and i wait for 1.5 ^_^

--
Yonsy Solis
Aureal Systems