[Distutils] Static metadata using setup.cfg

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:37:57 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Chris Withers<chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> Here's a demo of what I was thinking of adding in Distutils:
>>
>> http://bitbucket.org/tarek/staticmetadata/
>>
>> It uses Mako just for the proof of concept, README.txt explains how it
>> works
>>
>> Let me know how this fits your needs,
>
> A couple of things:
>
> - I've never had to use anything that would require the kind of templating
> being discussed here, so please make setup.cfg "just work" if setup.cfg.in
> isn't there.

That's the case

> - I think any kind of templating language is *way to heavyweight*. If you
> need anything more than simple string substitution, then the code should be
> in setup.py

Well, the point is to be able to define sections in a static file that
will be used without
having to execute any code in the distribution.

For example being able to express:

"if the target python is version 2.6 the dependencies are ..."

The goal is to be able to run that part on a vanilla Python. without
having to rely on the distribution's setup.py

Cheers
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org