[Distutils] PEP 345 - 3 new fields

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Dec 1 04:19:00 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> As suggested in Catalog-SIG by some people, I would like to propose
> >> the addition of three more fields for 1.2:
> >>
> >> "Repository-URL"
> >>    A string containing the URL for the package's repository.
> >>   Example:
> >>        http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/
> >
> > I like this in concept, but it's a bit vague as just a URL.  What kind of
> > repository is it?  Sniffing is possible, but doesn't work that well.  For
> > pip I require something like hg+http://... (with exceptions for schemes
> that
> > are self-describing, like svn: and git:).
>
> I didn't think that Pip would use this field to do some automatic process,
> I think the use case was to simply display that url at PyPI.
>
> OTHO, Repository-Browse-URL already plays that role, so it would be
> interesting to
> provide in "Repository-URL", urls that could be processed by installers.
>
> Do you have a particular use case in mind ?

I don't really.  There is an active use case for links like:

  http://repo-location/MyPackage/trunk#egg=MyPackage-dev

which are used to get the dev version.  These links should go to a svn index
(which both easy_install and pip understand specifically) or to some
automatically-generated tarball (which I believe most of the other VCSs
generate through their popular frontends, e.g.,
http://bitbucket.org/ianb/webob/get/tip.zip).

If something more like that was added (more like Trunk-URL), that would be
genuinely useful.  Barring that, I'd recommend removing the Repository-URL
field from the recommendation until we have a clearer use case.  Right now,
the better use case would be a field giving the checkout command, e.g.,:

  Repository-Checkout: hg clone http://bitbucket.org/ianb/webob

But I don't think that is particularly useful, only that it is more useful
than Repository-URL.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |
http://topplabs.org/civichacker