[Distutils] PEP 345 - 3 new fields

Benji York benji at zope.com
Tue Dec 1 16:27:34 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> The value I see in that field is that:
>
> - it helps developers structurize a bit their project description.
> e.g. letting them separate
>  the Description of the package from the changelog if any.

Package creators can already do this by including a link to the change
log if they so choose.

> - it will let PyPI separate the front page of the project from its
> changelog, e.g. in this page:
>  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout, instead of having the
> changelog here, it could be a link
>  to another page for the project.

Again, package creators can already do this.

> How does that sounds ?

I don't understand the value of this proposal.

We don't need more overhead for package authors to wade through, even if
they end up ignoring it.  No... *especially* if they end up ignoring it.
--
Benji York