[Distutils] PEP 345 - 3 new fields

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Tue Dec 1 20:22:13 CET 2009

Benji York wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip a reiteration of the perceived benefits]
>
>> So I guess you are also against the addition of "Repository-URL" and
>> "Bug-Tracker-URL" too ?
>> Since those can be links in the long_description as well.
>
> I am.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I don't think these proposals will kill kittens or
> anything, it's just that every addition has a cost.  I (apparently) see
> that cost as being higher than others do, therefore I feel the small
> benefit is swamped by the cost.

I agree with Benji that adding new fields has a cost and should be
avoided. Just because we can add structure doesn't mean we should.

In the specific case of Repository-URL and Bug-Tracker-URL, the idea was
that PyPI would change its behavior if these fields were present (by not
using the rating system). So I'm okay with those. But for other fields,
like Repository-Checkout and Change-Log-URL, I haven't seen a use case yet.

Eric.