[Distutils] 70 packages in total use setuptools' "extras" feature

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Dec 3 21:32:58 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:05 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 10:21 AM 12/3/2009 -0800, Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:
>>
>>  Do you have anything particular in mind? What I did was a ``grep
>> "^.*[a-zA-Z]\["`` in the requires.txt of (almost) all the packages in PyPI.
>
> Do note that this won't tell you about end users' use of extras.
>
> The main use case described in the documentation for extras is allowing
> users to install optional support for things.  That means you're more likely
> to see them in buildout configurations (which won't be found on PyPI), and
> manual installation steps (which aren't recorded anywhere).

Incidentally, I never got around to implementing extras in pip, and no
one has asked about it so far.  (Though I guess pip generally
encourages people handle transitive dependencies explicitly; i.e., if
you want zope.component with zcml, then install zope.component and
zope.component.zcml.)

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://topplabs.org/civichacker