[Distutils] PEP 386 status - last round here ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:35:09 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
[..]

> A snapshot will always be a version of a pre-release, so
> it's clear that you get a snapshot when looking at:
>
>        1.0.0a0.123
>
> (the "a0" signals the pre-release status)
>
> OTOH, versions without pre-release marker are always release
> versions, e.g.
>
>        1.0.0
>        1.0.0.123
>        1.0.0.123.0.456
>
> (with whatever meaning those added levels may have, e.g. could be
> build numers, branch version numbers, etc.)

I am with Floris here, I think dev/post markers are more explicit than
"a0" and implicit
markers. And we will always have a hundred ways of doing this. Last,
as long as people schemes
can be translated to PEP 386, wer'e safe.

I propose to end this thread here, and to start a new thread on
Python-dev for PEP 386 as
I mentioned previously.  So, eventually we can decide there on a final
scheme, then focus on
the last details on PEP 345.

I will post the mail for python-dev here so people can check it before
it is sent,

Regards
Tarek