[Distutils] [venv] question about future pip capabilities

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 22:58:48 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Questions concerning pip:
>>
>> * Is there a roadmap or timeline concerning installing from windows
>> exe or msi files? I didn't see anything at bitbucket.
>
> There isn't a timeline, as we don't have anyone actively contributing
> with respect to Windows.
>
>> * Is there a roadmap or timeline concerning extras? I didn't see
>> anything at bitbucket.
>
> There isn't really; extras would be nice, but there hasn't been much
> demand for them.  pip requirement files serve a similar purpose though
> in a somewhat different way.

I brought this up on the virtualenv mailing list once before.
Requirements files serve a very different use-case. If I want to
define a project extra like foo[traits_qt4] that depends on a project
with an extra like traits[qt4] > 3.2.0, I can't just list traits[qt4]
> 3.2.0 in my requirements file, because pip is not designed to
recursively check the (arbitrarily-named) requirements files of the
dependencies I declare in my own requirements file. I have to keep
track of not only my projects dependencies, but my dependencies
dependencies, and on and on.

>> * I have a bit of time after hours, how can I help?
>
> If you are a Windows developer, Windows help for pip would be great.

I distribute windows installers for a couple projects, but I'm not a
windows developer...

> A shorter time commitment is to download pip and run the tests on
> Windows and report problems, as it's unfortunately quite possible
> we've introduced Windows regressions.

This sounds like a good place to start.

Regards,
Darren