[Distutils] question about future pip capabilities

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 23:12:00 CET 2009

2009/12/10 Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com>:
[..]
> Questions for pip and Distribute:
>
> * How closely coupled are these projects?

As Ian said, they are not closely coupled, but some people are
contributing to both projects, and
in Distribute we want to stop developing easy_install because a
package installer should be project on its own. And pip development is
very active these days.

IOW if Pip needs apis Distutils doesn't (yet) provide, Distribute will
try to provide them,

> * I have a bit of time after hours, how can I help?

If you want to help on Distribute, there are many things you could do,
from bug fixes to new development in the 0.7 versions. Contact me
online if you want to discuss this (#distutils on freenode)

Tarek