[Distutils] [Bug] Failed installation. setuptools-0.6c11.win32-py2.6.exe

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Dec 15 22:13:21 CET 2009

At 05:17 PM 12/15/2009 +0100, Andrey Andreev wrote:
>Hi Rune,
>
>I had a similar issue on Windows Server 2008 R2. You are probably
>running Win 7 (64bit). I ran procmon, and found out that the
>installer is looking for the keys under:
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Python\PythonCore
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Python\PythonCore
>
>so I modified the register.py discussed above to write to
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, which solved the issue.

Sounds like maybe there's a problem with either the distutils or the
Windows Python installer, since either the bdist_wininst isn't
checking in the right place, or the Windows Python installer isn't
registering in the right place.  (i.e., this would be an issue with
*any* Python .exe-based installer on these platforms.)