[Distutils] install_requires option to force pypi url or a better approach?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 19:14:20 CET 2009

 2009/12/18 Aljoša Mohorović <aljosa.mohorovic at gmail.com>:
> 2009/12/18 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
>> Have you tried --extra-index-url ? This allows you to add extra indexes
>
> i can define pypi.example.com in requirements.txt or via command line
> options for pip but i'm trying to define it in setup.py.
> is it unreasonable to expect option in setup.py to define
> multiple/alternative pypi locations or should i change something in my
> workflow?
> telling pip where to look for each package requirement (assuming it's
> in a different pypi location) makes me think that i shouldn't define
> requirements in setup.py and simply use pip/requirements.txt to manage
> dependencies.
>
> maybe i'm missing something?

Usually a setup.py script just provides the options for the install
command to be run,
not extra options for a package installer like Pip.

IOW, defining where the package installer should look for
distributions should be configured
at its level, not at the distribution level, because one distribution
may be located in several
PyPI-like servers and cannot know in advance which installer will be
used for it to be installed,
and on which server it will be hosted at

So for Pip, imho you should list all your pypi servers using
--extra-index-url and leave the
distributions' setup.py alone.

Tarek