[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Dec 22 19:48:38 CET 2009

> By installer, I mean things produced by bdist_*. A significant portion
> of windows users don't like eggs, and prefer .exe-based (or
> .msi-based) installers. Currently, it is not possible to (reliably)
> convert from one to the other (e.g. eggs->wininst), but there is no
> reason why this is so.

There is most certainly a reason. The binary distribution may be lacking
pieces of source code that would be needed to build another (different)
binary distribution.

For example, if you have a Linux RPM or .deb, it is, in general, not
possible to create a Windows installer out of this, as you may need
to recompile extension modules. Including the full source code in the
binary distribution just to support this rare use case is unreasonable:
people who want a different package format can build from the source
package.

Regards,
Martin