[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Tue Dec 22 23:02:35 CET 2009

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:48:38 +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>
wrote:

>> ..
>
> There is most certainly a reason. The binary distribution may be lacking
> pieces of source code that would be needed to build another (different)
> binary distribution.

Actually, I have a question about that. I'll just ask here because
you may be able to answer it in 30 seconds but it might take me
a few hours to find out the answer myself.

Under Windows, through the build-msi and build-exe procedure, we
have windows GUI package installers. When I was using one built by Mark
Hammond the other day, I noticed that it worked pretty fabulously.

However, under Windows 7 Enterprise, with a high security policy. It's
totally impossible now to install the same package, even if python has
been installed by the system administrator. It won't let you run .exe
files.

Since this whole approach now seems broken going forward.. what
is going to happen? Can that code be moved somewhere so that it
can install regular (source) packages?

David