[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 01:01:11 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 23:34, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
> Oh come on... nobody is saying pypi sucks. Only that the package
> installation experience in python does. In python, these are two
> separate and entirely different things.
>
> Under Perl, the whole thing is just called CPAN.

OK, so in the Perl community there is apparently a lot of confusion on
what CPAN is. And in the Python community there is a lot of confusion
about installation. And although CPAN does't install and has nothing
to do with installation, people in the Perl community think it does.
So according to you, when Perl people say "Python need CPAN" what they
actually mean, according to you, is "We can't convert one package
format to another", because they don't know that CPAN is the archive,
not the installation program.

Is this correct?

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64