[Distutils] buildout examples clarification

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Wed Dec 23 22:05:15 CET 2009

On 12/23/09 8:38 PM, Jeff Kunce wrote:
> I am using the buildout page on pypi as a reference
>    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout
>
> What is the python shell used for the examples?  I can follow what is
> going on, but I'm not familiar with some of the functions used. For
> example:
>    >>>  write(sample_buildout, 'recipes', 'mkdir.py', ...)
>
> Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm stumped.  Thanks.

Those write() and cat() and ls() methods are helper methods that are
provided by zc.buildout's own test setup.

(Technically: they're injected into the test's globals namespace, look
for a ``test.globs['write'] = some_write_method`` in test*.py if you
want the details)

Really handy when testing zc.buildout. But they might just be a "little
bit hidden" away in the test setup code ;-)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org
Software developer at http://www.thehealthagency.com