[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 23:32:42 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz
<glyph at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>
> 1/ Missing packages (eg: Twisted is not there)
>
> The Twisted guys do not upload their packages to PyPI. I think that's
> a mistake, but it's hardly PyPI's fault. There is no law saying you
> have to use CPAN either.
>
> For what it's worth, we don't upload because it's a big pain, and nobody
> cares anyway.
> It's a big pain because there are two ways to upload, and neither one works
> for us.  We can't use 'setup.py upload' because we don't use 'sdist' to
> produce our tarball releases (although a discussion of why 'sdist' is
> insufficient is a topic for another post).  The other way to upload,
> manually interacting with a form in a web browser, is annoying and as far as
> I know it is hostile to automation.

Note that it wouldn't take long to override the upload command so it works
independantly from any other *dist command.

I could even add a --dist-file option to it so you can point an
existing archive to push at PyPI,
so running sdist or another *dist command wouldn't be mandatory anymore