[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Wed Dec 23 23:51:18 CET 2009

On 12/23/2009 2:32 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz
> <glyph at twistedmatrix.com>  wrote:
>> >
>> >  On Dec 23, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>> >
>> >  1/ Missing packages (eg: Twisted is not there)
>> >
>> >  The Twisted guys do not upload their packages to PyPI. I think that's
>> >  a mistake, but it's hardly PyPI's fault. There is no law saying you
>> >  have to use CPAN either.
>> >
>> >  For what it's worth, we don't upload because it's a big pain, and nobody
>> >  cares anyway.
>> >  It's a big pain because there are two ways to upload, and neither one works
>> >  for us.  We can't use 'setup.py upload' because we don't use 'sdist' to
>> >  produce our tarball releases (although a discussion of why 'sdist' is
>> >  insufficient is a topic for another post).  The other way to upload,
>> >  manually interacting with a form in a web browser, is annoying and as far as
>> >  I know it is hostile to automation.
> Note that it wouldn't take long to override the upload command so it works
> independantly from any other *dist command.
>
> I could even add a --dist-file option to it so you can point an
> existing archive to push at PyPI,
> so running sdist or another *dist command wouldn't be mandatory anymore

The advantage of sdist is that the metadata (PKG-INFO; .egg-info/*.txt)
is automatically included in the source distribution. For a manually
generated source distribution, this is not always the case.
Consequently, one is forced to run the `egg_info` command ..something
that is unacceptable if you do not want to run Python code in a server
that simply mirrors PyPI.

It would be much interesting to hear arguments for why `sdist` is not
suited for Twisted releases and see if it can be fixed.

-srid