[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

ssteinerX@gmail.com ssteinerx at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 14:44:52 CET 2009

On Dec 24, 2009, at 2:02 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 06:06, ssteinerX at gmail.com <ssteinerx at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Right now, installing e.g. Twisted, requires finding the website, figuring out which exact file to download, then figuring out exactly how to get it installed.
>
> Nope.
>
>> # super-duper-python-thing-just-like-cpan-only-better -i Twisted
>>
>> Should do it
>
> $ /opt/python26/bin/virtualenv twist

[snip]

Ok, so easy_install works for Twisted.  Yay.

> Installed /tmp/twist/lib/python2.6/site-packages/zope.interface-3.5.3-py2.6-linux-i686.egg
> Finished processing dependencies for Twisted
>
> Done!
>
>> At least that's what I get from all this...
>
> We have *that*. Two versions of it even, as pip would likely work as well.

Ok, there's easy_install, the direct download route, and pip.

I think that's exactly *not*:

# super-duper-python-thing-just-like-cpan-only-better -i Twisted

And, I picked Twisted 'cause it was already in the discussion.

There are at least three ways to install it and I'm really concerned that what you just seemed to suggest was that the much-maligned-and-soon-to-be-deprecated `easy_install` is the `super-duper-python-thing-just-like-cpan-only-better` of today?