[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 14:56:26 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 12:28, kiorky <kiorky at cryptelium.net> wrote:
> Why forcing them ?
> How about a cronjob or something like that which find packages without
> distribution and get from there all distributions possible on their relative
> homepages and mirror them on Pypi ?

Somebody (including a bot) uploading a package is quite different from
*requiring* uploads, IMO.

But uploading to PyPI is for 99.999% of packages so easy that if it's
not done there may be a reason why they don't want to. We may choose
to ignore that, but we can only do it for licenses we know allow it,
which again means that there may be packages listed on PyPI that are
not hosted on PyPI.

I personally don't understand why third-party services would need this.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64