[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 15:06:46 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 14:44, ssteinerX at gmail.com <ssteinerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so easy_install works for Twisted.  Yay.

So, your requirement is fulfilled.

> I think that's exactly *not*:
>
> # super-duper-python-thing-just-like-cpan-only-better -i Twisted

No, it's

> # super-duper-python-thing-just-like-cpan-only-better -i Twisted

and

> # the-other-super-duper-python-thing-just-like-cpan-only-even-better -i Twisted

> And, I picked Twisted 'cause it was already in the discussion.

Yes, and this works pretty much for any other package as well. There
are some that are tricky because they require C-libraries that are
hard to install etc, but most packages can be installed like this.
Complete applications, like Zope2, Turbogears etcs, can often not, but
even the last version of Zope 2 can be easy_installed.

> There are at least three ways to install it and I'm really concerned that what you just seemed to suggest was that the much-maligned-and-soon-to-be-deprecated `easy_install` is the `super-duper-python-thing-just-like-cpan-only-better` of today?

That's a strange concern.

--
Lennart Regebro: http://regebro.wordpress.com/
Python 3 Porting: http://python-incompatibility.googlecode.com/