[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 16:16:59 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 15:46, ssteinerX at gmail.com <ssteinerx at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it's strange to be concerned that one of the SDPTJLCOB options, and the one that you used as your example, is going to go away.

Why? Pip does the same thing. They are commands. And it's not likely
to go away anytime soon, what probably happens is that people will use
pip more and more until pretty much noone uses easy_install. It
completely and utterly fails me to see why this would be anything to
worry about.

> If pip is going to be the SDPTJLCOB of the future, with an facade that substitutes for easy_install in the same way that Distribute does for setuptools then great, that's progress!

It'll have an easy_install facade if someone needs it badly enough to
write one. But I can't imagine why they would.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64