[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 23:56:32 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 22:45, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Am I wrong, then, in thinking that PyPI will reject an upload with
> malformed metadata?

Well, define "malformed". If the data format is impossible to
interpret, it obviously have to fail. That's not a reject in any big
sense. There are also required metadata, namely package name and
version.

> To my understanding, this discussion is about arguing whether an upload
> that is missing the package should be rejected by PyPI.

Well, it's about if a package that is missing any upload should be
"rejected" (or shown, rather, since registering packages and uploading
files are separate in PyPI).

--
Lennart Regebro: http://regebro.wordpress.com/
Python 3 Porting: http://python-incompatibility.googlecode.com/