[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 08:22:59 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is true, but the idea to upload them by robots is preferable in
> my opinion. Again it's a difference between trying to force other
> people to behave to your expectations vs trying to make it easier for
> others to behave to your expectations.

Is there any hard data to back up the idea that making some things
mandatory when registering/uploading to Pypi is detrimental to Pypi's
goal, or is it just opinion ?

It is very difficult for me to understand the rationale for this. This
is specific to Pypi AFAIK (compared to CRAN, hackage, etc...), and the
advantages of making it mandatory are obvious and hard facts (easy to
mirror, easy to do basic consistency checks, easy to interoperate),
whereas the downsides are far from obvious.

cheers,

David