[Distutils] Python people want CPAN and how the latter came about

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 12:09:03 CET 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:43, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> The question that matters is how significant this effect is, not that
> it happens. Optimizing the number of packages independently of any
> other criteria does not make much sense.

Uploading to PyPI is so easy that almost everyone does it. Those who
do not have a REASON for that. We should figure out that reason and
FIX IT. You just want to say "no, we should not allow them to do
that". That has *no* benefit and does not solve any problem. So there
is no optimization here. This is not a question of weighing one good
thing vs another conflicting good thing.

> I think many people within
> the group of disatisfied Pypi users would be happy to have less
> packages for a better overall experience.

Nobody has been able to explain why requiring file uploads would give
a better overall experience. The argument for requiring uploads was
that it was easier to mirror, and argument that I would claim is false
in the first place. Nobody, before now, has claimed it give "an
overall better experience", and I don't see how that would be the
case.

> If it were, nobody would make the argument about making things more
> consistent for Pypi. The goal is to make Pypi better, and easy
> mirroring as well as reliable experience is part of that.

Yes, but uploading more file does not make mirroring of files easier.
It is still a bogus argument. You can mirror PyPI files by mirroring
the file structure. Yes, you will not get files that are not uploaded.
But if you did, then it wouldn't be a mirror in the first place, but
something else. Mirroring PyPI's metadata is apparently not very easy,
and I agree that it should be. But uploading more files doesn't make
mirroring of PyPI easier or harder, it just means you have more files,
nothing else.

--
Lennart Regebro: http://regebro.wordpress.com/
Python 3 Porting: http://python-incompatibility.googlecode.com/