[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Feb 1 02:02:24 CET 2009

Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> writes:

> Calling .py files "data" is another choice which seems (to me)
> arbitrary: in my view, .py files, as well as others, are "software",
> not data, and should be kept together with the other software (e.g.,
> templates used for rendering HTML) that they are distributed with.

Everything in a Python package — data, programs, templates,
documentation files, etc. — is software (as opposed to hardware).

I think you mean that ‘foo.py’ files are program files, rather than
data. I certainly agree with this.

--
 \        “The restriction of knowledge to an elite group destroys the |
  `\                   spirit of society and leads to its intellectual |