[Distutils] setuptools and shared library dependencies

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Feb 4 16:32:33 CET 2009

At 06:57 AM 2/4/2009 +0100, Greg Landrum wrote:
>If I were not using setuputils, I would make sure that I had BASE/bin
>in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and everything would work without problems.
>
>If I explictly add the bin directory from the egg
>(/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/BASE-0.1-py2.5-linux-i686.egg) to
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH things also work, but requiring this level of
>involvement from the user isn't particularly pleasing.
>
>Is there a solution to this problem or is this a use case that doesn't
>fit with setuptools?

There's an experimental and unsupported solution, if you use
setuptools to build the shared library, and you're on a compatible
platform.  See the 'tests/shlib_test' subdirectory of the setuptools
SVN trunk for info.  (The necessary code is in the 0.6 branch as
well, but the tests are only in the trunk.)

(Also, if you use this approach, the .egg doesn't need to be
installed unzipped.)