[Distutils] PEP 376 for Distutils

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Feb 24 16:05:43 CET 2009

At 09:39 AM 2/24/2009 +0100, Joachim König wrote:
>could the egg-info directory be put somewhere else (as a
>configuration/command line option)?

No, since it's used to identify the installed location of the code
that goes with it, ala PEP 262.  In other words, sys.path is its own
installation database.

>If the location of the egg-info dir and the encoding of the python
>version and package
>version are only there for performance optimization reasons I'd
>suggest to really decouple
>optimization from file naming and having a caching directory that
>can compute an
>optimized representation once when an out-of-date situation is
>detected (e.g. when new
>packages are installed) making the optimization even faster, e.g. by
>having a file
>in suitable format instead of calling os.listdir() and iterating
>over the result.

That would introduce the possibility of the cache being out of
date.  See PEP 262.

(By the way, the Python version info isn't needed for this
optimization; only the package version.)