[Distutils] PEP 376 for Distutils

Joachim König him at online.de
Wed Feb 25 09:16:22 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> ok so far, from the whole dicussion it seems that everyone agrees that
> the Python version is superfluous
> in the .egg-info files, so I'll update the PEP for this point.
>
> I'll also start to write more details about uninstallation

As P.J.Eby pointed out the importance of PEP 262, could all the egg-info
directories be also
put into a subdirectory called "install-db" as described in that PEP. As
proposed by P.J.Eby
in PEP262 under "open issues", there could/should be one of these for
each directory
where packages are installed.

So to repeat the initial example for zlib, it should look like this:

zlib/
install_db/
     zlib-2.5.2.egg-info/
        PKG-INFO
        MANIFEST
        RECORD

The name of the "install_db" directory would not be that important, e.g.
it could e.g. be called "egg-info" and
the ".egg-info" extension from the zlib egg-info directory name could be
stripped, making the parsing of the listdir() call
even faster 8-)