[Distutils] Distutils standalone release

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 14:22:29 CET 2009

Hello,

the current Distutils trunk in Python is now in theory compatible with
Python 2.3, as I fixed all the broken tests.

My goal is to make a standalone release anyone can use, by replacing
their Python's distutils with the newest
one. This is important to speed up distutils improvements.

There's one more task I need to address in order to make a standalone
release of Distutils that will
be usable under Python 2.3->2.6 : fix the problem described in this thread:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-February/011016.html

otherwise all packages based on setuptools will be broken.

I don't have a solution for that problem yet, and I am not sure if
this should be adressed in setuptools,
or in distutils, or on both sides.

Although, I have seen some other problems along the way, and the test
coverage is not sufficient
to see everything.

Any help on this will be appreciated to fix all the problem and
improve the test coverage.
If someone wants to give a hand, it's quite simple.

1/ install the standalone Distutils version located here:

$ svn co http://svn.python.org/projects/distutils/trunk/ distutils
$ cd distutils
$ python setup.py install

2/ remove the original distutils package located in Python lib

3/ run an installation (or anything) of a setuptools-based package

4/ report all the bugs here  :)

Thanks
Tarek

--