[Distutils] environment variables in buildout config files?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jan 8 22:35:46 CET 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 04:12:11PM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>>
>>> No, since those are specific to a particular project and shouldn't
>>> be
>>> shared.
>>
>> Ok.
>>
>>> (Actually, I don't understand what 'develop-eggs' is for, other than
>>> that removing it tends to fix weird problems after switching from a
>>> develop-egg to a normal egg.)
>
> After Jim's explanation (thanks!) I don't see a reason why develop-
> eggs
> couldn't also be shared... no, wait, perhaps I see one.
>
> Imagine project A using a develop-egg of a *branch* of zope.frobozz,
> while project B uses a develop-egg of the *trunk* of zope.frobozz.  In
> that case /path/to/project-A/develop-eggs/zope.frobozz.egg-link will
> contain a link to ~/src/zope.frobozz/random-feature-branch, while
> /path/to/project-B/develop-eggs/zope.frobozz.egg-link would containt a
> link to ~/src/zope.frobozz/trunk.  Same filename, different content --
> ergo, develop-eggs cannot be shared between projects.
>
> I have a couple of source trees in my home directory that contain an
> actual example of this.

Right. That's the main reason they shouldn't be shared.

My explanation was also incomplete.  If you use the
zc.recipe.egg:custom recipe to do a custom build of a binary, then the
resulting binary egg is also put in develop-eggs because the egg
depends on the buildout configuration.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton