[Distutils] pre-release versioning problems with sdist, bdist_rpm, bdist_debian

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Jan 9 16:28:46 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:
>>

>> The problem is that there appears to be no way to get a coordinated behavior
>> between 'sdist' and 'bdist_rpm' as far as version and release strings are
>> concerned that will satisfy both tarballs and bdist packages.
>>

>> If I understand your problem correclty, if sdist would simply
>> concatenate the version string and
>> the release string to use it as a "source version" when it starts to work,
>> you would be able to work things out ?
>>

>> I don't know the internals of 'sdist' but I think if there were a way to
>> extend 'sdist' to use 'release' as well as 'version' then that might work.
>> I would have to test that to see.
>>

> Well, can you define how sdist should behave exactly ?
>
> Based on that discussion I can make a prototype for you to try out, then we can
> maybe propose in that mailing list a change to sdist

Thanks Tarek.  I think if it would do the same thing as bdist_rpm that
it would be ok.  bdist_rpm looks like it does VERSION-RELEASE (hyphen
separator).    So then doing this for 'sdist' I guess would produce a
tarball name of foo-VERSION-RELEASE.tar.gz  and an extracted directory
of foo-VERSION-RELEASE.   What this would allow then is for the
'version' string to stay at '5.0.0' and then the 'release' string to
contain any pre-release information such as '0_rc1' and then the final
release would contain '1' which is lexically superior to the '0_rc1'.
I'm not sure though what other targets in distutils also use 'version'
so I don't know if this would affect anything else.    Also, I'm hoping
this can be implemented as some kind of extension so that it can be made
to work for existing installations as well.

Regards,
Gerry