[Distutils] Unable to import python script after installing using easy_install

rayterrill rayjohnterrill at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 19:21:49 CET 2009

>The above is an indication that your source code isn't being
>found.  My guess is that since you're saying you want to install a
>"script" but can't import it, what you actually have is a standalone
>*module*, not a script or a package.  find_packages() cannot find
>such modules, you must list them individually, e.g.:

>    py_modules = ['randomscript'],

>rather than listing them in the 'packages' parameter.

I wasnt aware of this option.  This looks a lot more like what I need.

>By the way, if you plan to distribute your module via PyPI, it is
>recommended that you use 'sdist' to build a source distribution in
>addition to (or instead of) an .egg file.  .egg files are a very
>specialized distribution format intended for things like application
>plugins and site-local distribution (e.g., administrators making
>binary packages available across a campus or company network,
>etc.)  That is, they're more aimed at end-user distribution use
>cases, than at programmer or "open source" distribution use
>cases.  Or as I sometimes say, they're more of a "deployment" format
>than a "distribution" format.

This is custom business-specific code, not intended for general use or being
uploaded to PyPI.  They're going to be distributed to over 800+ locations
internally, so I was looking for a repeatable structured mechanism to deploy
the code and verify that it was installed correctly, vs. just copying the
files into the python sys.path and hoping they're there when they need to be
run (how it currently is working).

-Ray