[Distutils] get_metadata in Distutils

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 23:29:31 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>> I am wondering about other cases though:
>>
>> - it seems that pkg_resources works on .egg-info *directories*. When
>> does this case happen ?
>
> System packages (.rpm, .deb, etc.), or other install
> --root/--single-version-externally-managed installs of setuptools-based
> packages.

Ok, so in that case, the .egg-info directory contains a PKG-INFO file
right inside ?

>> - you said that its needs to work on nested packages, but I can't see
>> the difference when grabbing the metadata in such a package
>
> More precisely: you can have nested .egg directories within a single
> zipfile.  This is to support bundling a bunch of eggs in a single zipfile
> for easy application distribution.

I see. Does the global zip file have a specific extension ? (like .egg) or
it can be any zip file as long as it contains .egg directories inside.

I am sorry to ask those question, but I got lost in the code for those
two particular cases,

Regards
Tarek

--