[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jan 28 13:35:29 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> writes:

> Man files seem rather specific to Linux

Hardly. Man pages have been part of every Unix-like operating system
(which is to say, all major operating systems except one) since before
Linus even discovered a C compiler.

> unless we have some kind of script that would know how to transform
> a reStructuredText file into a man file ?

There is an experimental ‘manpage’ writer for docutils, that is
packaged for (at least) Debian [0]. It has a corresponding program,
‘rst2man’ [1], for exactly the task you describe.

[0]: <URL:http://packages.debian.org/sid/docutils-writer-manpage>
[1]: <URL:http://packages.debian.org/sid/rst2man>

--
 \              “When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir |
  `\                                              cevinpl.” —Anonymous |