[Distutils] GUI for Python package Management

david.lyon at preisshare.net david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Jan 29 02:11:19 CET 2009

Hi All,

I am a developer from other languages and find myself on python now.

I'm wondering if anybody has objections to doing a package management gui
for python.

My design suggestions would be to:

 - use WXWidgets (cross compatability for most pythonic platforms)
 - provide a GUI wrapper for EasyInstall
 - source packages from http://pypi.python.org/pypi

It seems we have most of the componentry in place. The problem seems to be
that it doesn't come together in a very user friendly way at the moment
that is cohesive.

Can anybody/everybody flame/tell me why we shouldn't work to simplify this
area of python ?