[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 20:07:57 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:55:29AM -0500, Eric Smith wrote:
> Lennart Regebro wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 15:35, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>> That's not what I'm saying.  What I'm really saying is that I don't want to
>>> have to run 5 different setup.py commands every time I do a release in order
>>> to upload all the possible distribution formats that my users may want.
>>
>> Well, you are gonna have to, because you also need to test that they
>> work anyway. We can't distribute autogenerated distribution packages
>> that nobody ever tested that they actually work.
>>

> Someone should, true. But it need not be the original author, who might
> not have the ability to test (or even produce) every desirable
> distribution format.

In my ideal world python package developers would only ever have to
worry about uploading an sdist.  It's up to whoever wants to consume
these to re-pack them in the appropriate format if that's what they
want.

If I am correct the only reason people started to go away from this is
because Windows users don't tend to have compilers installed.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom