[Distutils] Uninstall command, the return

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 01:49:58 CET 2009

Hello

Many people are asking for an uninstall command. While there are
possible side-effects when removing all installed files,
I think it worths it...

I would like to introduce an uninstall command in distutils, using
Marc-André Lemburg's mxSetup tool
(see http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/) and turning it
into a uninstall command.

It's quite straighforward since it uses the install command in dry-run
mode to get the files to remove.
It requires of course to keep the source.

Next, (in a second step) I was wondering if a uninstall registery
could not be a good thing to have,
to store a record of the installed files so there's no need to keep
the source for uninstallation.
This would required a new command, (and a detailed specification of course)

There's an open ticket here about that (#4673)

Any thoughts ?

Regards
Tarek

--