[Distutils] Uninstall command, the return

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Jan 30 06:24:00 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Next, (in a second step) I was wondering if a uninstall registery
> could not be a good thing to have,
> to store a record of the installed files so there's no need to keep
> the source for uninstallation.
> This would required a new command, (and a detailed specification of course)

pip writes an installation record in Package.egg-info/installed-files.txt
(based on the setuptools --record option, with filenames made relative).
So... that's similar to it.  Of course, to be accurate you have to make sure
you don't install over those files.  So pip should really be uninstalling
before installing something new, and probably be fancy about the whole thing
(maybe like Enstaller is doing).

But if tools do respect the integrity of those files, it's a reasonably
simple record.  Well, that and they should be careful about one package
overwriting another packages file (which I haven't really seen happen, but
of course it *could* happen).

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org