[Distutils] Uninstall command, the return

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jan 30 16:41:41 CET 2009

At 12:17 PM 1/30/2009 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>this code is still incomplete, I am waiting for PJE feedback to add
>the support for zip files that contains
>several .egg folders or zip files. But the current version is able to
>find a package and its metadata.

What feedback are you waiting for?  I thought I already pointed you
to the file format details page, and the code in pkg_resources.

FWIW, I think the uninstall manifest should be done as a file within
an .egg-info directory, as it's the shortest route to
setuptools/distutils compatibility in this area.  Distutils'
install_egg_info would just make a directory with PKG-INFO and the
manifest, and easy_install would record the manifest.

At that point, easy_install would also be able (in principle) to stop:

1. using .pth files,
2. moving eggs to the front of PYTHONPATH, and
3. patching site.py

...which would probably make a lot of people happier.

(It could stop doing these things because it could just extract
active versions directly to their target directories, and move
inactive versions to .egg files or directories.)

I'm not saying the change will be *easy*, and uninstall will still
have to be careful about namespace packages (you'd need to scan all
the manifests in the target directory to see who else is using those
files), but the raw material would be there to get the job done.

The manifest should contain size/date/checksum information, and
should use /-separated paths, and make them relative paths based on
the sys.path directory, for any file that is a child of the sys.path
directory.  (i.e., if installed to site-packages, then any file in
that package that is under site-packages should be listed relative to
site-packages.)  In this way, moving an entire directory (e.g.,
moving one of your PYTHONPATH directories) will not break the manifest.

The /-separation part is also important: I've seen environments where
the same libraries are in use on a network with Linux, Mac, *and*
Windows machines - /-separation is the only way such an install
manifest would be readable across all 3.