[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 20:35:07 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Floris Bruynooghe
<floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 01:21:12AM +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Floris Bruynooghe
>> <floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > An argument against a generated .py file is that this won't work for
>> > single-module python distributions.  But having a .cfg file or
>> > something next to the module/package might defeat the point of trying
>> > to help the FHS in violating it already.  OTOH .egg-info does that too
>> > and seems to be accepted currently.
>>
>> Well, the egg-info file is the static version of setup.py metadata in some way,
>> I would find a new file redundant.
>>
>> I am really curious though, to see what the file would contain..
>
> I imagine things like libdir, prefix, datadir, docdir and other things
> copied from autoconf.  Where the defaults would be something like:
>
> prefix = sys.prefix
> libdir = sys.prefix/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/pkgname
> datadir = sys.prefix/share/mypackage
> docdir = sys.prefix/share/doc/mypackage

David Cournapeau has sent me a first draft of a document, you might
want to look at.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/distutils-autoconf

Might be a good basis for a common understanding

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org