[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Jan 30 22:19:05 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Floris Bruynooghe <
floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:

> I imagine things like libdir, prefix, datadir, docdir and other things
> copied from autoconf.  Where the defaults would be something like:
>
> prefix = sys.prefix
> libdir = sys.prefix/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/pkgname
> datadir = sys.prefix/share/mypackage
> docdir = sys.prefix/share/doc/mypackage

I wouldn't want to use those.  What goes in libdir, what goes in datadir?  I
don't know, and frankly the distinctions start getting really arbitrary.

I would rather see something like pkg_resources existing API, where there is
some file that maps out how the local names of files (where they'd be in a
checkout) map to their installed location, then the pkg_resources code could
finds the real location of the file.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org