[Distutils] [Python Language Summit] Distutils / Packaging survey

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 00:02:36 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 03:19:05PM -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Floris Bruynooghe <
> floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I imagine things like libdir, prefix, datadir, docdir and other things
> > copied from autoconf.  Where the defaults would be something like:
> >
> > prefix = sys.prefix
> > libdir = sys.prefix/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/pkgname
> > datadir = sys.prefix/share/mypackage
> > docdir = sys.prefix/share/doc/mypackage

Ok, that was supposed to read:

prefix = sys.prefix
libdir = sys.prefix/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/pkgname
datadir = sys.prefix/share/mypackage
docdir = sys.prefix/share/doc/mypackage

> I wouldn't want to use those.  What goes in libdir, what goes in datadir?  I
> don't know, and frankly the distinctions start getting really
> arbitrary.

You won't have to know or care.  What you define with `package_data',
`py_modules' and `package_dir' would just be translated to it (they
all go to libdir), it's a distutils (or other tool that's consuming
the metadata) implementation detail.  If you'd opt to tag a file as
going into "datadir" for example instead of using `data_files' then
you'd have to use a pkg_resources-like API to retrieve that (with one
more argument to say that you want a "datadir" resource).

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom