[Distutils] Solaris and distutils: Need to pass LIBDIR explicitly with -L when building extensions?

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Sat Jan 31 00:45:26 CET 2009

Floris Bruynooghe wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 06:48:06PM -0600, Dave Peterson wrote:
>
>> I am trying to build a number of projects that use Python extensions on
>> Solaris 10 and I've discovered that nothing with extensions will link
>> unless I explicitly pass in a '-L/path/to/python/lib/dir' because
>> libpython2.5.so is not otherwise found when the '-lpython2.5' argument
>> is specified during linking.
>>
> [...]
>
>> If that all seems correct, then it appears the issue is the
>> finalize_options() source in lib/distutils/commands/build_ext.py.  There
>> are a number of "if" blocks that explicitly append the value of
>> distutils.sysconfig.get_config_vars('LIBDIR') to the list of
>> library_dirs used to link built extensions with.  However, there doesn't
>> seem to be one of these for Solaris / sunos.
>>

> Could you point to one of the projects you're having trouble with?  I
> haven't had any such problems with Python 2.5 on Solaris 10, distutils
> always finds the right things when I'm building extension modules.

Pretty much everything I've tried that uses an extension has this
problem.  Cython, Numpy, Traits, etc.  As Robert Kern pointed out, I'm
using a custom built Python (Python 2.5.4) built and installed into a
custom location via '--prefix'.   What Python are you using?

Just for grins, I've tried building Python with a number of other
compilers, but all with a --prefix setting, and they've all exhibited
this problem.  I'm leaning more and more toward this is actually a bug
with the distutils source on Solaris.

-- Dave