[Distutils] Where is the setuptools source repository?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jul 7 11:36:15 CEST 2009

On Jul 6, 2009, at 8:54 PM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Of course, it's depressing that a packaging system requires so much
>> experimentation to understand.
>
> Worse still is when the implementation disagrees with the
> documentation...
>
> And when we have two systems that purport to be the same (distutils
> and setuptools) in this respect, and neither work...

The approach that setuptools took was reasonable in many ways and it
achieves quite a bit.  It's reasonable to try to work "within the
system".  Distutils intends to provide an extensible architecture and
setuptools builds on that.  It achieves major improvements over
distutils.  With all it's warts, I'm still very thankful for it.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation