[Distutils] easy_install MySQL_python error

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Jul 8 22:04:30 CEST 2009

In article <h32dim$rc6$1 at ger.gmane.org>,
 Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com> wrote:
> Christian Brodbeck wrote:
> > I am trying to install MySQL_python, but I get the following error:
> > "EnvironmentError: mysql_config not found" (complete terminal readout
> > below). I am using python 2.5 and the latest version of os X on a
> > macbook. I could not find anything in the mailinglist archive (using
> > google's site: search - is there a better way to search it?) and
> > easy_install page advises to write to this mailinglist if there are
> > problems, so I was wondering if anyone could help.
>
> Likely you need to arrange for the 'mysql_config' utility to be on the
> PATH when you run the script:  if the utility doesn't exist, that would
> indicate that you need to install the MySQL client libraries for your
> system.

Also, from the /opt/local/Library path in the traceback, it appears that
you're using the MacPorts python2.5.  If you don't need the absolutely
latest MySQL_python, you should be able to install everything you need
using MacPorts:

   sudo port install py25-mysql

That should pull in all the dependencies, including the necessary MySQL
client libs.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org