[Distutils] Single version number

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sat Jul 11 16:56:41 CEST 2009

On Jul 10, 2009, at 7:24 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>
>>  1) put __version__ = '4.2' in yourpackage/__init__.py, have setup.py
>>     do from yourpackage import __version__ and pass that to setup()
>
> This is generally what I do and it seems to work pretty well for
> me.  I remember talking with Gary Poster about some problems with
> this, related to our open source lazr packages, but I don't recall
> the details.

This idiom seems to cause problem for building Nevow, when it isn't
being built in a fresh process all by itself (i.e. "python ./setup.py
build") but is instead being built inside a more complicated setting,
such as when it is one of the module being packaged up by py2exe, or
when it is the dependency of something which is being built by
setuptools:

http://divmod.org/trac/ticket/2699

Regards,

Zooko