[Distutils] PEP 376 - from pythonpkgmgr point of view

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Thu Jul 16 01:39:40 CEST 2009

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:47:35 -0400, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com>
wrote:
> I've been trying to follow this discussion now for weeks. The signal to
> noise ratio is pretty low.

I'm -1 on that..

As a relative newcomer to python packaging I'm finding all these
discussions very informative. :-)

> I'd love to have an stdlib solution for distribution packaging and
> installation.

That's right.

I'd love to find out what the process is for submitting my pythonpkgmgr
project for consideration into the stdlib.

As it fills a huge gap that you've just identified that currently exists
within the python that is being shipped today. That is, allowing users to
easily install packages from pypi.

>   But I think we might as well pack it up and go home if the folks whom
are
> contributing to the discussion "recreationally" (whom are not themselves
> implementers and potential implementers or spec writers or potential spec

> writers of packaging systems) continue to chime in on *every single
issue*,

> contributing only stop energy.  It's just completely pointless.

We can all work in different ways..

I'm not writing PEPS and don't care too much about how the internals of
a package work. As long as there are APIs for such stuff I'm happy.

What I'm working on is to try to improve the user experience which
isn't so handled so easily by a design by commitee process.

Packaging and Distutils, need to be looked at wholistically as
well. It's not just about the api's, but how well they work.

It's not noise.... it's just the process....

ps:

(http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall)

"Easy Install
Please share your experiences with us! If you encounter difficulty
installing a package, please contact us via the distutils mailing list.
(Note: please DO NOT send private email directly to the author of
setuptools; it will be discarded. "

So what are we to do if we find issues with setuptools other than to post
to distutils?

David