[Distutils] Announcing the 'Distribute' project

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 16:49:41 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Kent Tenney<ktenney at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Chris Withers<chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>>
>>> We have started a new project called 'Distribute'. It's a fork of
>>> setuptools and its initial purpose will be to tackle
>>> the most annoying bugs found in setuptools 0.6c9 version.
>>
>> Just to make these comments publicly too:
>>
>> *Please* consider a different name.
>
> Not to mention the PITA of Googling "distribute"

Ok so everyone agrees it's a bad name for many good reasons :)

I am changing to setuptools2 then.

For other remarks Chris made:

- which DVCS : Mercurial. I think it's the best pick for such a
project, if you come for Subversion you'll be up and running
  with Hg within an hour. There are many guides/tutorials out there.

  for instance : http://nedbatchelder.com/text/hgsvn.html

- for the mailing list, I'd like to stay on distutils-sig, unless many
people want a separate list for it, so I am 0-

Cheers
Tarek