[Distutils] [Distribute] What versions should we support?

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Fri Jul 17 12:11:59 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Lennart Regebro<regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/17 Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>:
>> When Python 2.7/3.2 are out, I am planning to release a standalone
>> version of Distutils that will work starting at 2.5.
>> Which means that the 0.7 series of Distribute will be able to work with it.
>>
>> From there we can maintain a 0.6.x maintenance branch that will work
>> with vanilla Python from 2.4 to 2.6 + 3.1

Yes. The current setuptools 0.6c9 release claims to be compatible with
Python 2.3 to 2.6. I'd like to maintain that same promise for the 0.6
release series. I don't see Python 3.x support as mandatory for these
maintenance releases. It's a new feature which can go into a new major
release. It's likely to be somewhat disruptive to do while retaining
support for all older releases.

>> and a 0.7.x branch that will work with Python 2.7/3.2 and 2.5/2.6/3.1
>> if the users install the Distutils backport.
>
> Sounds reasonable.

+1

Hanno